Chaplet of Seven Dolors (Sorrows)/Servite Rosary
These chaplets are made to order, please state any color preferences!!!
CHAPLET - c34i|
Your choice of beads and material pic
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO PRAY: Each medal (or Our Father bead) depicts one of the Seven Sorrows of The Blessed Virgin Mary. It was instituted in the 13th century in honor of the Seven Sorrows our Lady endured with her Divine Son. It is prayed upon a Chaplet made up of 52 beads, 7 sections of 7 beads are divided from the rest by medals, representing the seven principal sorrows of her life. The Hail Mary is said on the beads and an Our Father on each of the medals.
Meditations for each of the 7 groups:
1) The Prophesy of Simeon over the Tender Infant Jesus (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
2) The Desperate Flight of the Holy Family into Egypt (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
3) The Loss of the Child Jesus for Three Days (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
4) The Sorrowful Meeting of Jesus & Mary Along the Way of The Cross (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
5) Mary Watches Her Divine Son Suffer and Die upon the Cross (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
6) Jesus is Struck by the Lance, Taken Down from the Cross and Placed in His Poor Mother's Arms (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
7) Mary Watches as the Body of Her Divine Son is Buried in a Tomb (Our Father, 7 Hail Marys)
(End the Chaplet with 3 Hail Marys in honor of Our Lady's Tears. )
INDULGENCES - Pope Benedict XIII,
September 26th, 1724, granted an indulgence of 200 days for every Our
Father and every Hail Mary. to those who, with sincere contrition, and
having confessed, or firmly purposing to confess their sins, shall recite
this Chaplet on any Friday, or on any day of Lent, on the Festival of
the Seven Dolours, or within the Octave; and 100 days on any other day
of the year. Pope Clement XII, December 12, 1734, confirmed these indulgences,
and moreover granted:
| (All these indulgences
were confirmed by a decree of January 17th, 1747, and rendered applicable
to the souls in Purgatory.)
OTHER PROMISES - "This devotion to the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of My Mother will restore faith and hope to broken hearts and to ruined families; it will help to repair the destruction; it will sweeten sorrow. It will be a new strength for My Church, bringing souls, not only to confidence in My Heart, but also to abandonment to the Sorrowful Heart of My Mother." (Our Lord to Berthe Petit)
FOUR SPECIAL GRACES - Promised to those devoted to the 7 Sorrows of Mary: Revealed by Our Lord to St. Elizabeth of Hungary:
1) The grace of True Repentance for all their sins should they invoke The Blessed Virgin Mother in the name of her Sorrows before their death.
2) Jesus would protect them in their tribulations all who remember this devotion; they would have His special protection especially at the hour of death.
3) Jesus would impress upon their minds the remembrance of His Passion, and that they should have their reward for it in Heaven.
4) That He would commit such devout clients to the hands of Mary, so that she might obtain for these souls all the graces she wanted to lavish upon them.
More extensive prayers and meditations:
My God, I offer You this rosary for Your glory, so I may honor Your Holy Mother, the Blessed Virgin, so I can share and meditate upon her suffering. I humbly beg You to give me true repentance for all my sins. Give me wisdom and humility so that I may receive all the indulgences contained in this prayer.
On the Medal: Act of Contrition (optional) and skip the next 3 beads
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend You, my God, You Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Before each sorrow: Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your son, Jesus.
1) The prophecy of Simeon (Lk 2:22-35)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the affliction of thy tender heart at the prophecy of the holy and aged Simeon. Dear Mother, by thy heart so afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility and the gift of holy fear of God. (Hail Mary 7 times)
2) The flight into Egypt (Mt 2:13-15)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the anguish of thy most affectionate heart during the flight into Egypt and thy sojourn there. Dear Mother, by thy heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of generosity, especially towards the poor, and the gift of piety. (Hail Mary 7 times)
3) The loss of the Child Jesus (Lk 2:41-52)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in those anxieties which tried thy troubled heart at the loss of thy dear Jesus. Dear Mother, by thy heart so full of anguish, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the gift of knowledge. (Hail Mary 7 times)
4) Mary meets Jesus carrying His cross (Lk 23:27-31)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the consternation of thy heart at meeting Jesus as He carried His Cross. Dear Mother, by thy heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of patience and the gift of fortitude. (Hail Mary 7 times)
5) The Crucifixion (Jn 19:25-27)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful in the martyrdom which thy generous heart endured in standing near Jesus in His agony. Dear Mother, by thy heart afflicted in such wise, obtain for me the virtue of temperance and the gift of counsel. (Hail Mary 7 times)
6) Mary receives the body of Jesus from the cross (Jn 19:38-40)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the wounding of thy compassionate heart, when the side of Jesus was struck by the lance and His Heart was pierced. Dear Mother, by thy heart thus transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity and the gift of understanding. (Hail Mary 7 times)
7) The body of Jesus is placed in the tomb (Jn 19:41-42)
I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful for the pangs that wrenched thy most loving heart at the burial of Jesus. Dear Mother, by thy heart sunk in the bitterness of desolation, obtain for me the virtue of diligence and the gift of wisdom. (Hail Mary 7 times)
At the end, on the large medal:
Queen of Martyrs, your heart suffered so much. I beg you, by the merits of the tears you shed in these terrible and sorrowful times, to obtain for me and all the sinners of the world the grace of complete sincerity and repentance. Amen.
Let intercession be made for us, we beseech Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, now and at the hour of our death, before the throne of Thy mercy, by the Blessed Virgin Mary, Thy Mother, whose most holy soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow in the hour of Thy bitter Passion. Through Thee, O Jesus Christ, Saviour of the world, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost lives and reigns world without end. Amen.
Three times pray:
Mary, who was conceived without sin and who suffered for us, pray for us.
Pray for us, O most sorrowful Virgin. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.